Friday, May 25, 2012

#15 The Quay

Sunday morning arrived quickly as Molly showered and dressed for her last visit of the weekend with Kevin's sister.  She took the time to indulge in a heartier breakfast thinking it would last her the trip back on the bus, and also a brisk walk around the neighborhood.  She decided that she could handle Dublin as long as most of her time was spent on the outskirts of city center away from the hustle and bustle of crowds and traffic.

Molly had her small suitcase packed and downstairs near the door when Kevin arrived.  He seemed a bit rushed and out of breath.

“Kevin, what's up?” Molly asked.

“Oh...nothing, I just overslept a bit and was trying to get too much done this morning before I got here,”  Kevin offhandedly answered.  He did seem nervous about something.

Molly knew better than to grill him on what was going on.  If he wanted to tell Molly, he would in his own time.  Over these past few months she had learned to trust his judgment and not push.

Kevin put the suitcase in the back seat, and the two headed off to the south side of Dublin to Dun Laoghaire along the coast and Kevin's sister's house.  Siobhan and her husband lived in an apartment on Harbour Road overlooking Dun Laoghaire.  Other than the fact that it was an apartment and on the third floor, Molly thought the location was stunning. 

Siobhan's husband worked for a national telecommunications company, and Siobhan worked at a local doctor's office handling insurance claims.  They had bought the apartment before the price boom, and now were very happy that their investment paid off. 

If Molly had any concerns about meeting Siobhan, they were quickly put to rest once they were introduced and started chatting.  Siobhan, like her mother, was open and friendly and only wanted the best for Kevin as his older sister.  It wasn't long before the two women had left Kevin and his brother-in-law inside the apartment and sat down with some tea on the balcony overlooking the harbour. 

Siobhan's questions were probing, but not in an offensive way.  Molly felt quite comfortable talking with her.  But now Molly needed to ask Siobhan some questions that she could not, and would not, ask Kevin.

“Kevin mentioned to me that he did not always make the best of choices.  Do yo know what he meant by that?”  Molly asked straightforward.

“Molly, Kevin can be impulsive at times.  From what I understand, you've met Erin.  While they dated for over a year, that was the first time he was cautious about where a relationship was going.  And I have to say, with good reason. But it did take him a long time to finally break up with her.  Before that he would date a girl for a few months and think he wanted to get married. We've really tried to guide him into some better choices."

“Kevin and I are very close and while we might not see each other very often, we do chat on the phone and share our feelings about things.  I could see how impressed he was after he met you the first time.  I waited until he brought up the subject of sailing again several times and listened closely to what he was saying.  I tried to get through the whole sailing thing and listened to what he was saying about you.  He had no idea he was focusing on you just as much as he was the idea of sailing, but I could see it.  I wanted to give him the chance of following his interest in sailing, but also a chance to get to know you better, so I bought him the sailing lessons as a gift.  I have to say, it was one of my best choices,”  Siobhan concluded smiling.

“Thank you for your honesty Siobhan.  I always wonder about ulterior motives, and after meeting Erin, I felt I was so different, and was struggling with why Kevin had any interest in me,” Molly confessed.

“Molly, what you need to understand is with Erin, it was more of her hanging on to Kevin, than Kevin wanting to continue the relationship.  It was very difficult for him to break it off.  And I'm still not sure to this day that Erin has realized that she really has no chance with Kevin. Be careful of that one,” Siobhan advised.

“Oh, I've already had a run in with her, but I can hold my own.  I might be from a small town, but there will be no walking all over me.  And as for Kevin, I would not be putting up from any shenanigans from him either,”  Molly and Siobhan both laughed at this.

“You are just what Kevin needs,” Siobhan. “I can see you can take care of yourself and not put up with nonsense from him.  Somehow I knew that when I talked to you on the phone. He does care very much for you.  He doesn't bring many girls around to meet the family.  I'm so very glad we had this time to meet and chat.  Don't be a stranger,”  Siobhan finished.

“And I'd love for you and your husband to come down to Kilmore Quay and visit too.  If you like being out on the water, we could work out a sailing weekend, maybe a family trip,”  Molly offered generously.

“Sounds good, but it's difficult for us to get away.  We'll see what next spring and summer bring along,”  Siobhan smiled.

Kevin and Molly bid their farewells to Siobhan and her husband and headed for the bus station.  This trip had been a real eye-opener for Molly and she had actually enjoyed herself.  Any concerns she had about being in Dublin were dashed.  While she missed the comfort and quiet of her small town, this had been a wonderful weekend.

“Molly, I hope you had a good time this weekend,”  Kevin queried.

“Kevin, it was wonderful.  Such a treat for me, and I loved getting to meet your family and friends.  This is definitely something I'd consider doing again.  I do hope you invite me back,” Molly answered.

As they parked the car near the station, Kevin had suddenly gotten very quiet.

“Is something wrong?”  Molly asked.

“I just don't want to mess this one up.  I mean...I...Molly...you are very important to me.  I don't want to loose you,”  Kevin fumbled with his words.

“Kevin, I'm not going anywhere but back to Kilmore Quay.  And if I'm correct, you are coming to visit next weekend,” Molly was getting nervous with Kevin's stammering.

Kevin reached into his pocket as he started again, “I just wanted to give this to you.”

Molly was a little nervous knowing Kevin's impulsiveness, but had to smile when she saw what Kevin was giving her.  Out of his pocket he pulled a silver charm bracelet with one charm on it – a sailboat.

“It's not much, but I wanted you to keep this as a memory of your visit and know how much you mean to me,” Kevin finished his speech out of breath.

“It's absolutely beautiful, Kevin,” Molly smiled as Kevin put the delicate bracelet on her wrist.  A sign that he was not being too compulsive, but still very caring. She appreciated both the thought and his feelings.  She had come to feel the same, but was still hesitant about sharing her emotions with Kevin. 

Their goodbye said it all as they kissed and embraced for a long time before Molly headed onto the bus.  It would be a long week waiting until they were able to meet up in Kilmore Quay, but the memories of this weekend would hold them as they waited. 

On the bus ride home, Molly ran through all that had happened and often looked at her new bracelet as a fond memory to keep these good times close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment